Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Taters


Today, after waiting anxiously for a confirmation from my new Irish best friend Colm from Trek Inn; my June trip to Ireland is booked! My mom and I are currently obsessed with what some might call a sadist’s excuse for a vacation; the walking tour. Sure, I love a good sit on a the beach all day-drink fruity pink cocktails out of coconuts-come back looking like a Tahitian –kind of vacation, but the last two years I’ve become fully enamored with these hiking trips. Last year it was England and The Cotswolds; this year Ireland and The Wicklow Way.

The Wicklow Way

We’ll be hiking for 7 days through an area of towns south of Dublin; averaging 10 mile hikes a day and then staying at a new town each night. I’ll admit it, I’m a total anglophile, and these trips make me feel more British/Irish! In the spirit of finally realizing my Irish dream, I’m dedicating today to the Ireland’s favorite food of all time; the potato.




The potato is basically a wonder veggie. It packs a ton of nutrients into its little jacket (yes, in England they call baked potatoes jackets!), that it’s no wonder that the Irish people were able to become such sturdy individuals surviving on just these little spuds alone. Recently I got a tremendous deal at Stop and Shop (a whole bag of potatoes for a mere $2!) that I’ve been on a tater binge. My long term goal is to secure a seriously kick-ass hash brown recipe-crispy on the outside, tender on the inside. Tonight though, I’m all about making potatoes into a substantial dinner!

In the last few months I’ve discovered that bacon grease is my new best friend. I email it everyday, call it twice weekly, and send it Edible Arrangements. Well not really, but it has become my new favorite thing in my ingredient arsenal. Basically whenever I want a meal to be utterly fantastic, I start by sauteing chunks of bacon and then removing the crisp little pig parts; leaving a gleaming layer of grease. This grease is then used in place of olive oil and I’ll then sauté onions, leeks, garlic or whatever and continue with my food prep. Sure, this might derail any weight loss plans you might have for the near future, but at least your food will pack a serious flavor punch.

Bacon is the all-star in this recipe as its’ fat and protein make this potato concoction more of a meal. If you’re really jonesing for some calories add some cheese at the end because as we all know, cheese makes everything better.



Supper Time Taters

A few slices of Bacon, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
2, 4, 6 (however many you can eat) Potatoes, peeled and diced into large uniform chunks
2 T Olive oil
1 T Paprika
dashes of Salt/Pepper
a dash of Tabasco
2 or 3 Green Onions, sliced on a diagonal

Optional; Cheese (any kind will do but I think cheddar or a crumbly goat would be phenom), yummy Dijonaise* sauce.

*I’ve recently thrown in the towel in terms of ketchup and potato products. I feel like ketchup just masks the potato in gross processed salty crap. I’ve been making a Dijonaise instead. That’s right; a hybrid deliciousness of Dijon mustard and mayo. There should be more mustard than mayo, and a try a dash of honey if you want to ease the potency of the Dijon. But it is really the shizzzzzzle.



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a cookie sheet.

Add bacon to hot pan and let sizzle and crisp up. Remove with slotted spoon and let dry on paper towel, reserving as much grease in pan as you can.

Add garlic to bacon grease and sauté till beginning to brown, a minute or two. Add potatoes, a few shakes of olive oil, paprika, salt and pepper and some tabasco if you’re feeling like a kick in the pants. Sautee potatoes for 1-2 minutes and then place on greased cookie sheet.

Bake potatoes for about 45 minutes. Usually half way through I take a spatula and make sure potatoes aren’t sticking to the pan. You’ll ideally want these to be tender on the inside, yet crispy on the outside.

Remove potatoes and top with cheese and scallions and place back in the oven for a few minutes until cheese melts.

Serve with above mentioned Dijionaise or top with a poached or fried egg for added caloric consumption! Now that’s a lot of craic!*

*craic is an Irish word that means FUN!

1 comment:

  1. Yay - you're off to a great start! And I'm officially a subscriber!

    ReplyDelete