Thursday, March 24, 2011

FAKE Top Chef Finale and REAL Gluten Free New England Clam Chowder



Is it just me or has this season of Top Chef All-Stars gone on forever? Bravo seems to be really milking the talents of these poor once defeated chefs. Case in point; last night’s episode. Here I was, all set to make some fantastic meal to celebrate the last episode where I get to see Richard Blais shit his pants, and what do you know---THE FINALE IS NEXT WEEK! What the F Bravo!? So here’s my take on this episode that included a quick-fire with lots of twists and the always memorable Last Supper challenge.

I mentioned to my sister that one thing I like about Top Chef is that they keep their challenges in circulation. Restaurant Wars, The Relay, The Last Supper, etc all return again and again. Call me crazy, but I don't call anyone a Top Chef until they've used a metal cart as a cheese grater (I'm looking at you Fabio!) In last night’s quick-fire, they brought back a few favorites—the old no utensils game, cooking with one hand, and being tied to another chef, all were pretty crazy to watch. In the end, Mike won with his braised meat and salad combo; apparently it really blew Wolfgang Puck’s socks off.

The final mountain to climb ended up being The Last Supper Challenge; always a favorite of mine as it sparks discussion with whomever I am watching the show with about what in fact would be our last supper. My sister, being quite the MSG slut, picked take-out Chinese food. I picked short ribs with risotto, but over the years I've waffled between Fettuccine Alfredo, Steak Frites and a really good sandwich. So Richard gets Wolfgang, and he basically wants goulash. Mike gets Michelle Bernstein and despite being Latin and Jewish, (what a fun dinner table THAT must have been) she wants fried chicken. Antonia gets the toughest challenge of the night –Iron Chef Morimoto. I agreed with Antonia that Morimoto is seriously intimidating, but by the episode's end I wanted to miniaturize him and carry him around in my pocket. What a sweety! Anywho... Morimoto is all about his mother’s bento box.

I do think this challenge was seriously not fair. Fine---have one easy dish, like fried chicken. The other dishes should both be seriously out of the competitors’ comfort zones and even though Blais admitted he had no idea how to cook a strudel, he delivered just fine. Let’s face it—a goulash isn’t exactly rocket science. But a bento box?! I really felt for Antonia, and I’m sorry I have to pull my feminist card out for this one, but I wanted a woman in the finale. I think one woman chef has been crowned Top Chef during the entire run of this show, and it makes me mad. I think Antonia really deserved to be there this time--and she was oh, so close! Even though Mike’s been on a real winning streak, I don’t believe he’s as strong of a chef as either Richard or Antonia.

Long story short, it’s Crazy Richard and Sloppy Mike that head to the finale to duke it out. I’m pulling for Mike at this point. I’m sick of Richard’s whiney antics, psychological melt-downs, and seriously low self-esteem. Get a life coach and give me a call in 5 years buddy! Now onto the food!


In honor of what I thought was going to be the last of Top Chef All-Stars, I planned my own elimination challenge; Chowder Wars! Well, not really because it was just me, and I wasn’t getting eliminated from my own kitchen (not to mention I have about 1 knife to pack up and look sad about doing it!).


Fancy pants Clam Juice from Bar Harbor, Maine!



Chowder has always intimidated me. My dad was a great chowder maker. New England, Manhattan, Corn, Crab; he could do it all! When I became a celiac, he tried and tried to make a gluten free version that was how I remembered it. He was close, but never got the consistency I had dreamed of. So last night I set out to attempt the feat of all feats---thick and creamy Gluten Free New England Clam Chowder. This recipe is from the CIA. No, not the Central Intelligence Agency (I wouldn’t trust any recipe from them!) I’m talking about the Culinary Institute of America. I used Bob’s Red Mill GF All Purpose Gluten Free flour for the roux but feel free to sub your evil wheat filled flour in there if you want. Overall, I would give this chowder an A minus rating. The taste was just how I remembered, insanely rich due to the heavy cream and sherry, but a great clam taste. I still didn’t achieve the gravy like consistency that I dream my chowder to be. So mission….. sort of accomplished!

Finished product! Man...I need new bowls!

Gluten Free New England Clam Chowder
Courtesy of the CIA

1 ¼ lb canned clams, minced, juices reserved
2-3 cups bottled clam juice
2 bacon slices, minced
1 onion diced
2 T of your choice of flour
1 bay leaf
½ tsp thyme leaves, chopped
1 pound potatoes, peeled, diced
3 cups heavy cream or half and half
3 T dry sherry
Salt
Ground black pepper
Tabasco
Worcestershire
Oyster crackers*

*I found some really delicious Schar’s Cheese Bites crackers that worked really well. They were cheese flavored, but it didn’t affect the overall taste of the soup. They also came in triangle and circle shapes which mimics an oyster cracker pretty well and makes me feel like I’m 5. Hooray!

Drain the clam juice from the minced clams and combine with enough bottled juice to equal 3 cups of liquid.

Cook the bacon slowly in a soup pot over medium heat until lightly crisp, about 6 minutes.

Add the onion and cook until translucent about 5 minutes. Add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 2-3 minutes.

Wisk in clam juice and bring to simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The liquid should be the consistency of heavy cream. Add the bay leaf and fresh thyme.

Add the potatoes and simmer till tender, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, place the clams and cream in a saucepan and simmer together until clams are cooked, about 5-8 minutes. .

When the potatoes are tender, add the clams and cream to the soup base. Simmer 1-2 minutes. Stir in sherry and season to taste with salt, pepper, Tabasco and Worcestershire.

Load up on lots of crackers and enjoy!


Some seriously delicious gluten free crackers!


No comments:

Post a Comment